The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has officially recognized climbing as an Olympic sport for the 2020/21 and 2024 Games. Learn about space requirements, building connections, surface technologies and more in this Climbing Walls 101 / American Institute of Architects (AIA) accredited course.
We are launching a new educational series here at EP to assist professional architects and designers understanding a little more about the sport of climbing. With our Climbing Walls 101 course we discuss how this all-ages activity may be safely and sustainably incorporated into sport and recreation facilities. During this course participants will gain the knowledge to:
- Integrate climbing walls as vertical ‘fields of play’
- Understand basic space requirements according to current industry best practices; from building connection points to user safety
- Identify which surface materials and styles of climbing are most appropriate for user groups and facility types
- Engage healthy communities by uniting communal spaces and the climbing field of play.
We also have a few tools for you to take as reference after the course. These can help guide future projects and get ideas moving in a positive direction:
- Reference Guide of Materials
- Space Requirement Map
- Sample connection points and engineering loads
- Glossary of Terms
- Reference Index
If you or your firm is interested in scheduling with EP for this AIA credited course. Please contact Ryan at email@example.com